- 8 cup tortilla chips
- 1 cup crema or commercial sour cream
- 2 cup grated Mexican cheese, like queso Chiuahua or queso Oaxaca, or monterey jack or cheddar
- 8 large egg
- 0.5 cup diced tomato
- 0.5 cup diced avocado, preferably hass variety
- 0.25 cup minced red onion
- 0.25 cup chopped cilantro
- 0.25 cup grated Cotija cheese
Prepare the Roasted Tomato-Chipotle Salsa and keep warm. Preheat the oven to 350?F.
In a very large skillet, combine 2 to 3 handfuls of chips and 3/4 cup of the salsa and toss gently until the chips are covered. Add ½ cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of grated cheese and gently stir again. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the mixture is lightly browned and crispy on the edges and soft in the center, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, add more sauce, if necessary, and more cheese on top.
Meanwhile, cook the eggs sunny-side up, or as you want.
To serve: spoon the chilaquiles onto a plate and top with two eggs; garnish with tomato, avocado, red onions, cilantro, and Cotija cheese. Serve hot with extra salsa on the side. Repeat for each batch.
Recipe courtesy of Dos Caminos Mexican Street Food by Ivy Stark with Joanna Pruess/Skyhorse Publishing, 2011.