Toasted Beer Cornbread with Avocado, Crispy Pancetta and Poached Eggs
Avocado on toast is good, especially avocado on beer cornbread toast topped with crispy pancetta and a poached egg.
- 2.75 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil
- 0.75 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 12 Ounce dark beer
- 0.75 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 0.33 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
Beer Cornbread adapted from Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker
- Heat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to break up any clumps.
- In a large bowl, combine beer, soy milk, vegetable oil, and vinegar. Whisk to combine then add the dry ingredients all at once and combine with a rubber spatula until all the flour is moistened. Scrape into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Let cornbread cool 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and remove from pan. Let cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 4 Ounce thinly sliced pancetta
- 6 large eggs
- Once the bread is cool, heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange pancetta slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake in the oven until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Turn broiler to high.
- Bring a large saucepan of heavily-salted water to a boil, then reduce heat so the water is barely simmering.
- Meanwhile, slice 6 thick slices of cornbread and lay them on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler until toasted. Divide the avocado between the cornbread toasts and sprinkle a little salt over the top. Divide the pancetta slices between the toasts.
- When water is ready, crack 1 egg at a time into a small bowl. Add the vinegar to the water and swirl the water with a slotted spoon to make a vortex in the middle. Gently pour the egg from the bowl into the vortex and let cook, undisturbed until it has reached desired doneness, about 4 minutes for a soft center. Remove egg with a slotted spoon, place on toast and serve. Repeat with remaining eggs.
For the full post, visit Hola Jalapeno.