Thai Crab-and-Green-Mango Salad
- 1 cup green mangos, julienned, about 1 pound each peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Pound jumbo lump crab
- 0.25 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 0.33 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 0.25 cup shredded basil leaves
- 2 6-ounce bunches watercress, thick stems discarded
- 2 seedless cucumber -- peeled, seeded, and finely julienned
- 2 green mango julienned, about 1 pound each peeled and finely chopped
- 0.33 cup water
- 0.5 tsp sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce, optional
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 0.25 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 0.25 fresh lime juice
- 3 carrot, finely julienned
- 2 Thai red chili, minced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 0.25 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 scallions, green parts only thinly sliced
1. In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar with 1/4 cup of the sugar and half of the garlic and chiles. Add the carrots and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the lime and tangerine juices, shallot, fish sauce, sambal oelek and water. Stir in the remaining garlic, chiles and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
3. In a very large bowl, combine the green mango, cucumbers, watercress, basil, mint and cilantro. Drain the carrots, shaking off the excess liquid, and add them to the bowl. Add the dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and mound the crab on top. Garnish with the scallions and serve.