Taverna Eggplant and Feta Sandwich
- 1 4½ x 4-inch Crosswise Slices Eggplant
- 0.25 cup Pitted Kalamata Olives, sliced
- 0.5 cup Jarred Roasted Tri-colored Bell Pepper Strips, drained
- 0.5 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 4 Thick Slices Feta Cheese (3 x 3 x 1/2-inch each)
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- 0.125 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 0.33 cup extra virgin olive oil
- table salt
- 4 4-inch Square Ciabatta Rolls, split in half
Place eggplant slices into a bowl with a wide bottom, sprinkle slices with table salt. Place a weighted bowl over top. Let sit for about an hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper and oregano, set aside. Rinse eggplant slices with cold water. Drain and squeeze moisture from eggplant. Heat oven to 400ºF. Place eggplant slices into a shallow baking dish in one layer.
Spoon about 3 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil mixture over eggplant. Place in heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, line a 9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil, preferably the non-stick type. Place the feta cheese slices into prepared dish. Place chopped dried tomatoes on top of cheese followed by bell pepper strips and topped with sliced kalamata olives, dividing equally among cheese slices.
Spoon remainder of olive oil mixture over prepared cheese slices. During the last 15 minutes of eggplant roast, place cheese in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Place a roasted eggplant slice on bottom.