Tangy Tomatillo-Cumin Salsa
- 1 Pound tomatillo, husked and cored
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and halved
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.5 cup chopped cilantro
- 1.5 tsp sugar
1. In a large saucepan, cover the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeño with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the tomatillos lose their bright green color, 8 minutes. Drain, transfer to a blender and let cool.
2. In a small, dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, shaking the pan, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool slightly.
3. Grind the cumin to a powder and add it to the blender along with the cilantro and sugar; puree until smooth. Season the salsa with salt and serve chilled.