Sweet & Spicy Jerky
- 1.5 cup brewed strong coffee
- 1.5 cup Coca-Cola
- 2 whole star anise pods
- 2 cup soy sauce
- 0.5 cup Asian fish sauce
- 0.5 cup fresh lime juice
- 0.25 cup sambal oelek
- 2 Pound trimmed beef top round or bottom round, about 1 1/2 inch thick
1. Make the Marinade: In a saucepan, boil the coffee, Coca-Cola and star anise until reduced by half, 10 minutes; pour into a large bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring often. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sambal oelek and stir well.
2. Prepare the Meat: Cut the beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices, either with or against the grain.
3. Marinate the Meat: Add the beef to the marinade, a few slices at a time, stirring well to coat each slice with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
4. Dry the Meat: Preheat the oven to 200°. Set a large wire rack on each of 3 large rimmed baking sheets. Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange the beef on the racks, leaving 1/4 inch between slices. Bake for about 4 hours, until the jerky is firm and almost completely dry, but still chewy. Let cool completely on the racks before serving.