Sweet Potato Waffles with Whipped Orange Butter
- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 0.33 Can cooked or canned sweet potato or pumpkin puree
- 0.33 cup molasses
- 1.25 cup milk
- 0.125 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp fine kosher or sea salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Add the milk, sorghum, pumpkin, and egg. Whisk until smooth.
Bake in a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions. Baking time will vary with the consistency of the batter and your preference for browning.
For the butter, place the butter, orange zest, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Serve with the waffles. The butter will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recipe from Heartland by Judith Fertig/Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2011.