Sweet Potato Doughnuts with Ginger Glaze
Learn how to make these sweet and savory Sweet Potato Doughnuts with Ginger Glaze that will have everyone talking!
- 2 cup mashed cooked and sweet potatoes
- 4 cup whole wheat flour (used Bob’s Red Mill Whole Organic Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 0.75 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 0.75 cup whole milk
- 1.5 Ounce melted unsalted butter
- For the doughnuts: heat the milk in a pot until it reaches 110° to 115° and add it to a mixer with the whisk attachment. Add in the yeast, sugars, cinnamon and vanilla and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes until it begins to foam.
- Next, add in the sweet potato and mix until combined.
- Mix in 1 egg and egg yolk at a time until completely combined.
- At this point swap out the whisk for the hook attachment and on low speed add in the whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time until the everything pulls to the center and forms to the hook while mixing. This takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and it to a cut board covered in towels for 90 minutes. The dough will increase in size over time.
- Next, place the dough on a dry surface sprinkled with whole wheat flour and roll out until it is ½” inch to ¾” inches thick.
- Using a 4 inch circle cutter, cut through the dough to make a 4 inch circle. Next use a 1 inch circle cutter and push it right into the center of the 4 inch dough circle to make a dough nut. Repeat this process until the dough has been completely used up.
- Place the cut doughnuts on parchment paper sprinkled with whole wheat flour and cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 90 more minutes.
- To cook the doughnuts, fry them in canola oil on 350° for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until they are lightly browned and cooked in the middle.
- Let the fried doughnuts rest on a paper towel and let them dry completely.
- 0.25 cup whole milk
- 2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 0.25 tsp ground ginger
- For the Glaze: Simply whisk together all ingredients. Drizzle the glaze over the dry doughnuts.
For the full post, visit Billy Parisi.