Sweet Potato And Chorizo Tacos With Black Bean Salsa And Roasted Poblano Avocado Crema
I promise the sweetness from the sweet potato is so amazing with the spicy chorizo, like so amazing. Plus, there is no oven involved. Yes, NO oven!! I did it, I made a meal that you actually do not need to turn the oven on for. Can I please get a round of applause?
- 1 sweet potato ,cut into thick sticks or chopped (if roasting in the oven)
- 1 Pound ground mexican chorizo
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 4 Ounce pepper jack cheese, grated
- 4 Ounce sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 0.33 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 ears grilled corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed and chopped or sliced
- 0.25 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tsp hot sauce (I use Franks)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and sweet potatoes and stir. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are just softened. Crumble in the chorizo and cook until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. I like to really grind up the meat with a wooden spoon to make sure the meat gets cooked and browned evenly.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking make the roasted poblano crema, remove the core and seeds from peppers and slice in half. Lay on a baking sheet and preheat the broiler on your oven. Place under the broiler skin-side up until skins are completely charred and black – this took about 5 minutes for me, but sometimes is can go faster or shorter. I like to check them every 2 or 3 minutes and rotate if needed. Immediately remove peppers from oven and using kitchen tongs, quickly place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (obviously being sure to not let plastic wrap touch peppers). Set aside for 15 minutes. Or you can grill the peppers directly on the grill until charred.
- While the peppers cool throw the salsa together. In a medium size bowl add the black beans, grilled corn, jalapeno, cilantro, green onions, lime juice and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Set aside
- Once the peppers are cool remove some of the charred skin (I like to leave some of the skin on, but that is up to you) and place the pepper, avocado, greek yogurt, lime juice and hot sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and process until smooth. Taste and season to your liking.
- To assemble, place generous spoonfuls of the sweet potato + chorizo mixture in warm tortillas. Top with shredded cheese, then black bean and corn salsa and roasted poblano crema.
More from Half Baked Harvest.