Sweet and Tangy Corn with Roasted Peppers
Serving Size: 8
- 3 red bell peppers
- kosher salt
- 8 scallion, thinly sliced and preferably red (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium leeks, light green and white parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- ears of corn, shucked and kernels cut off the cobs (about 10 cups)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 0.5 cup sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic and let cool completely. Peel, seed and stem the peppers, then cut them into 1/3-inch dice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar with the water and cook over moderate heat without stirring until lightly golden in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until the caramel dissolves, about 1 minute; let cool completely.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the corn kernels and sliced leeks until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes; drain well and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss the corn and leeks with the roasted peppers, scallions and sweet-tart dressing. Season the corn with salt and pepper, transfer to a platter and serve.
MAKE AHEAD The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 one day ahead; refrigerate the roasted peppers, dressing and blanched corn and leeks separately.
Recipe Credit: Tom Colicchio
Image Credit: Michael Turek