Super Easy Veggie Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 6
This is a quick and healthy way to enjoy a classic dish!
- 16 Ounce macaroni or other small noodle
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package Earthbound Farm frozen butternut squash, cooked and pureed until very smooth
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, place butter in a large pot and heat over medium heat.
- Once melted, sprinkle the flour on the butter and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, ½ cup at a time and cook until the flour has disappeared into the milk and the mixture has thickened a bit - about 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Stir in the pureed squash, then add the shredded cheese and continue to stir until mixture is smooth. Season with salt & pepper (and a pinch of nutmeg if desired).
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain and immediately mix into the cheese sauce.
- Serve right away, with extra shredded cheese on top if desired.
Notes: Add in any other veggies you like - frozen peas or a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach are my favorite additions!
For the full post, visit Eating Made Easy.