Summer Squash Salad with Pickled Currants
Superfresh baby squash is terrific raw in this simple salad, which is studded with tangy-sweet currants, toasty nuts and salty ricotta salata cheese.
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Shaved ricotta salata, for garnish
- 0.25 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.75 cup chopped basil
- 2 cup mixed baby greens
- 1 Pound baby summer squash, thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
- 2 Tbsp dried currants
- 0.25 tsp kosher salt
- 0.25 tsp sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar and currants and warm over moderate heat just until the sugar dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool slightly. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons of the pickling liquid.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with the greens, basil, olive oil, currants and the pickling liquid. Transfer to a platter. Top with the hazelnuts, garnish with cheese and serve.
Recipe Credit: Jimmy Bannos Jr.
Image Credit: John Kernick