- 1 Can 13 1/2 ounce unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 2 pound unpeeled butternut or kabocha squash, washed, halved, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.5 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 fresh hot red chil, thinly sliced
- 1 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 0.25 cup light brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large roasting pan, stir together the coconut milk, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, chile, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. Add the squash and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, until the squash is almost tender.
Increase the oven temperature to 425°. Uncover the pan. Turn the squash pieces over and season with salt. Roast on the top shelf for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450° and roast for about 15 minutes longer, until the squash is richly glazed. Transfer the squash to a platter with a slotted spoon. Season the sauce with salt, spoon it over the squash and serve.