Stupid-Simple Roast Beef With Horseradish Cream
This is the best roast beef recipe ever; just plan on a few days of salt-curing.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 7- to 8-pound top round beef roast, tied with the full fat cap on the roast
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 0.5 cup prepared horseradish
- Set a rack over a baking sheet. Rub 1/2 cup of the salt all over the roast and let stand for 10 minutes. Repeat with another 1/2 cup of the salt. Transfer the roast to the rack and refrigerate uncovered for 2 days. Bring to room temperature 3 hours before roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Season the meat with pepper and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 225° and roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes longer, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast registers 120°. Let the meat rest for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream with the horseradish and the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt and pepper. Slice the roast and serve with the horseradish cream.
Make Ahead: The roast beef can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve warm or chilled. The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Recipe Credit:Tom Mylan
Image Credit: Chris Court