Stir-Fried Lettuces with Crispy Shallots
Serving Size: 4
Iceberg lettuce and watercress stir-fry in a flash and serve as a crisp-tender counterpoint to crunchy shallots.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cup watercress (about 2 bunches), trimmed, cut into 2" pieces
- 6 cup coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 head)
- 0.25 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1.5 Tbsp minced, peeled ginger
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced garlic
- 0.25 cup 1/8"-thick slices cured sausage (such as salami or Chinese sausage), quartered if desired
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 0.5 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 4 cup cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and season lightly with salt and pepper (shallots will crisp as they cool).
- Increase heat to medium; add sausage and next 3 ingredients to same skillet; stir for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water; scrape up any browned bits. Increase heat to medium-high; add lettuce and watercress and cook, tossing often, just until wilted, 1–2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fried shallots over. Serve with brown rice.
Recipe Credit: The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Image Credit: Jonny Valiant