Sticky Toffee Pudding
Serving Size: 8
- 2.25 cup pitted dates
- 3 large eggs
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 cup cups packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 3.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.75 cup dark spiced rum
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. and butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, rum, and 3/4 cup water. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer (BTB, RTS ), and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the vanilla, and let the liquid cool. Puree the mixture in a food processor until smooth, and reserve.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Combine the brown sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until homogeneous. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Gently stir the flour mixture into the butter-sugar in thirds. Stir in the reserved date puree.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until set in the middle. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a skewer or chopstick, poke holes in the pudding every inch or so.
- Pour half the toffee sauce over the cake and let it soak in for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve the pudding in a warm pool of the remaining sauce. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
- 1 cup brandy
- 3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1.5 Pound (6 sticks) unsalted butter
- whipped cream (optional)
- While the pudding is baking, combine the butter, brown sugar, brandy, and 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer (BTB, RTS ), whisking frequently. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens to a sauce consistency, about 15 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of Own Your Kitchen
image Courtesy of Own Your Kitchen