Steak au Poivre
- 3 1-pound, bone-in rib eye steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick
- kosher salt
- coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 0.33 cup brandy
- 0.75 cup chicken stock
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- Season the steaks with salt and black peppercorns and let stand for 45 minutes.
- In a cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the oil. Working in batches, cook the steaks over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium-rare, 7 minutes per batch; transfer to a board and let rest.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 2 minutes. Add the brandy and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the stock and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until slightly reduced, 3 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer until slightly thickened, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Season the sauce with salt.
- Slice the steak and transfer to plates or a platter. Spoon the sauce on top and serve.
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne
Recipe Courtesy of: Clint Simonson