Squid Ink Pasta with Asparagus
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup fine dry bread crumb
- 1 Tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp snipped chive
- 0.5 cup crème fraîche
- 1 Pound squid ink linguine or tagliatelle
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 0.25 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1.5 Pound thin asparagus - tips reserved, spears cut into pieces
- 0.5 Pound shallot, thinly sliced
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a very large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 8 minutes. Add the asparagus spears, garlic and crushed red pepper, season with salt and cook until the asparagus is crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the wine and vinegar and cook until nearly evaporated, 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta, water, crème fraîche, chives, parsley and tarragon to the skillet. Keep warm.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the asparagus tips, season with salt and cook over high heat until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the asparagus tips to the pasta and toss.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Sprinkle over the pasta and serve, passing grated Parmigiano at the table.
Recipe Credit: Seth Siegel-Gardner and Terrence Gallivan
Image Credit: Christina Holmes