Sports Bars with Dried Fruit and Peanut Butter
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cup puffed whole grain cereal (such as Kashi)
- 0.5 cup walnuts, chopped
- 0.25 cup chopped pitted date
- 0.25 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 0.25 cup raisin
- 0.33 cup creamy peanut butter
- 0.25 cup honey
- 0.25 cup light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix cereal, walnuts, dates, cherries, and raisins in medium bowl.
- Combine peanut butter, honey, and corn syrup in heavy small saucepan.
- Bring to boil, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles vigorously and thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal mixture in bowl; stir to blend.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan; press to compact.
- Bake until just golden around edges, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cut into 2 1/2x1 1/2-inch bars. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store in single layer between sheets of foil in airtight container at room temperature.)
Photo by Susan Gentry McWhinney