Spicy Jerk Vegetables with Yogurt-Scallion Sauce
Spicy, fresh and satisfying, these make a spectacular vegetarian main course.
- 1 Tbsp ground allspice
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced 1/4 inch thick through the core
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 1.5 Pound thin eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Pound medium asparagus
- 8 whole scallions
- 0.5 cup minced scallions
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 0.25 cup fresh lime juice
- 0.5 Pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 Pound oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 large portobello mushrooms— gills scraped out with a spoon, mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp dry powdered ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 tsp cayenne or ground dried habanero
- 1.5 Tbsp dried thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1.75 cup extra virgin olive oil
- grilled bread, for serving
- Mix the spices, herbs and 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper with 1 1/2 cups of the oil. In a very large bowl, combine the mushrooms, fennel, red peppers, eggplant, asparagus and whole scallions and gently toss with most of the seasoned oil. Brush the onion slabs with the remaining seasoned oil.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Working in batches, grill the vegetables over moderately high heat, turning, until tender and charred, 10 minutes per batch. Arrange the vegetables on a platter and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the minced scallions, lime juice and remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Serve the vegetables with the yogurt sauce and grilled bread.
Recipe Courtesy of: Grace Parisi
Image Credit: John Kemick