Spicy Barbecued Chicken with Miso Corn
This grilled chicken gets extra crusty thanks to brown sugar in the marinade. Mixing miso into the butter for the corn adds a good umami kick.
- 0.33 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- Make the chicken In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken thighs and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 0.5 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp white miso or doenjang (Korean fermented bean paste)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- Meanwhile, make the corn In a small bowl, mix the butter with the miso and scallion.
- Light a grill and brush the grate with canola oil. Grill the corn and chicken over moderate heat, turning, until charred in spots and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes for the corn and 12 to 15 minutes for the chicken. Transfer the corn to a large platter and slather with the seasoned butter. Arrange the chicken alongside, garnish with sliced scallion and serve warm.
Recipe Credit: Judy Joo
Image Credit: Christina Holmes