Spiced Rice Breakfast Porridge
Serving Size: 4
In this hearty porridge, steel-cut oats and brown rice come together under a delicious topping of caramelized bananas.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (not quick-cooking)
- 0.5 cup short-grain brown rice (not quick-cooking)
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 0.33 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 0.5 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
- roasted chopped almonds, for serving
- heavy cream, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the oats, rice, cinnamon stick, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Press the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on the cut sides of the bananas. Cook sugar side down over moderately high heat until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Top the porridge with the bananas. Serve with chopped almonds and cream.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Christina Holmes