Sparkling White Kimchi
- 1 Pound napa cabbage, —halved, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot, very thinly sliced
- 2 large red chiles, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1.5 cup 7up, ginger ale
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
In a bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt and squeeze it to soften slightly. Cover with a small plate and a heavy can and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pour off any liquid. Stir in the vinegar, scallions, carrot and chiles. Add the 7UP, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Fold in the watercress just before serving.