Spaghetti with Clams and Braised Greens
Serving Size: 4
To give spaghetti with fresh clam sauce more flavor, chef Ashley Christensen purees sweet roasted bell peppers into the spicy, briny broth.
- 0.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 0.5 Pound spaghetti
- kosher salt
- 1 Pound Swiss chard or collard greens, stemmed and chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 cup dry white wine
- 4 dozen littleneck clams
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 0.5 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add half of the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the clams. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes; as the clams open, transfer them to a baking sheet. Discard any unopened clams. Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a blender. Add the roasted peppers and puree until smooth.
- Wash out the pot, then heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in it. Add the remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed red pepper and Swiss chard in batches until the chard is just wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the roasted pepper broth and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti until al dente; drain. Add the pasta to the Swiss chard mixture along with the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and the 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Add the clams and toss to heat through. Transfer the pasta and broth to shallow bowls, garnish with grated cheese and serve.
Recipe Credit: Ashley Christensen
Image Credit: Christina Holmes