Smothered Cauliflower with Eggs
- 1 10-ounce head of cauliflower—leaves removed, head cut into slabs
- marjoram leaves and herb flowers (optional), for garnish
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 0.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.25 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Pound yellow tomatoes, cored and finely chopped (3 cups)
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- crusty bread, for serving
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the cauliflower until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the flour, tapping off the excess.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until browned. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and lemon zest to the skillet and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the tomatoes have broken down, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a small, dry skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a spoon, make 4 wells in the tomato sauce. Crack the eggs into the wells, cover and cook over moderately low heat until the eggs are just set, 3 minutes. Garnish the eggs with the almonds, marjoram leaves and flowers and serve right away with crusty bread.
Recipe Credit: Heidi Swanson
Image Credit: Con Poulos