Smoky Shrimp and Grits
- 0.75 cup quick-cooking grits
- 0.5 tsp hot paprika
- 1 Pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup canola oil
- 0.25 cup snipped chives
- 1.5 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 Ounce sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded 3/4 cup
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup dry white wine
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Gradually add the grits and a generous pinch of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick and porridge-like, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and stir in the cheddar cheese, baby spinach and chives; stir until the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted. Cover the grits and keep warm.
2. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil with the garlic over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and paprika, season with salt and black pepper and cook until the shrimp are opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until the shrimp are white throughout and the garlic-paprika sauce is slightly reduced.
3. Spoon the grits into bowls, top with the shrimp and sauce; serve.