Slow Cooker Mixed Bean Vegetable Soup
Serve this slow cooker soup with a green salad and/or some good crusty bread for a delicious, hearty meal on the cheap.
- 1.5 cup (300 g) bean and grain soup mix (used Pereg)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cup (1.7 L) low-sodium vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- Fresh lemon wedges, for squeezing on top (optional)
- The night before, soak the soup mix in a bowl of cold water. The next morning, rinse and drain the soup mix.
- Add all ingredients except the thyme and lemon wedges to a slow cooker and give it a stir. (I start with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and add more later if needed.)
- Cover and cook on HIGH heat for 4 to 5 hours; do not open the lid until you check to see if it’s done at the 4 hour mark. (Or cook on LOW heat for 6 to 8 hours, checking it at the 6 hour mark.)
- Once it’s done, stir in the thyme. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges to squeeze on top, if desired.
For the full post, visit An Edible Mosaic.