Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Caprese
This balsamic chicken caprese recipe is simple, filled with sweet Italian flavor, and you probably have everything you need to make it in your pantry right this second.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- shredded mozzarella cheese, for serving
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 0.5 cup balsamic vinegar
- 14 Ounce diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 0.5 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 0.5 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- thinly sliced fresh basil, for serving
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Place chicken on top of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, bayleaf, basil, and onion. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear, 5 to 6 hours on low heat or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high heat, depending upon your slow cooker. Transfer the chicken to a plate, then with a slotted spoon, scoop the tomato-balsamic slow cooker sauce over the chicken. Top with mozzarella and fresh basil.
Notes: Because white meat chicken can dry out easily in the slow cooker, be sure to check your slow cooker towards at the early end of the cooking timeframe. For the best taste, purchase a block of mozzarella cheese and grate it yourself, versus purchasing a pre-grated variety.
For the full post, visit Well Plated by Erin.