Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
Please don’t hesitate to use this oatmeal recipe as a base and get weird with different flavor combinations. I’m thinking a banana-nut version would be bomb, as would pumpkin pie, blueberry-coconut, or maybe some sort of almond butter (with chocolate chips on top?). Variety is the spice of life.
- 1 cup gluten-free steel-cut oats (not quick-cooking)
- 2 Tbsp good quality maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (You can also use flaxseeds if you prefer)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp liquid coconut oil (optional)
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2.5 cup water
- 1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large apples (or 3 small), peeled, cored and chopped into roughly ¾-inch pieces
- Start by greasing your slow cooker. I rubbed the inside of mine with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, but you can use cooking spray if you prefer. (Please do not skip this step, people, or you will end up with a literal hot mess on your hands.)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Give everything a quick stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
- ground cinnamon
- chopped pecans
- almond milk
- maple syrup or brown sugar
- Give the oatmeal a good stir, spoon into bowls and serve warm with toppings of your choice.
Notes: Oatmeal can be refrigerated in an airtight container to be eaten throughout the week! Just stir in a little almond milk (or milk of your choice) and re-heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
For the full post, visit Domesticate ME.