Slow Cooked Greek-Style Beef Stew
- 1 boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck pot roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 frozen whole small white onions
- 1 fresh or frozen whole baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1.75 cup Swanson® beef broth or Swanson® beef stock
- 1 V8® 100% vegetable juice
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- bouquet garni
- 6 cup medium egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
1. Place the beef, onions and carrots into a 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with the flour and toss to coat.
2. Stir the broth, vegetable juice and brown sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture is smooth. Pour the broth mixture over the beef and vegetables. Submerge the Bouquet Garni into the broth mixture.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove the Bouquet Garni. Serve the beef mixture over the noodles.
Time-Saving: Or you may cook this recipe on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Bouquet Garni: Lay a 4-inch square of cheesecloth flat on the counter. Place 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 bay leaf in the center of the cloth. Bring the corners of the cloth together and tie with kitchen string into a bundle.
Cooking Basics: True "baby" carrots are a seasonal vegetable available in spring and early summer and are sold in bunches with the green tops left on. They can usually be found in upscale grocery stores or farmers' markets. "Baby-cut" carrots are mature carrots that have been peeled and cut into small carrot-shaped pieces. They are widely available year round in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with steamed cut green beans and toasted pita bread wedges. For dessert serve a yogurt parfait: layer vanilla yogurt with toasted coconut and fresh blueberries or sliced strawberries.