Skillet Corn Bread with Corn Relish
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.75 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1.25 cup milk
- 1.5 cup well-drained corn relish with roasted pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat and add 2 tablespoons of the butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a large glass measuring cup, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a microwave oven. Whisk in the eggs and milk until blended. Add the liquid ingredients and the Corn Relish to the cornmeal mixture and stir with a spatula just until the batter is evenly moistened.
3. Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and spread it evenly. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the corn bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the skillet to a rack and let the corn bread cool for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.