Skillet Biscuits with Berries
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1.5 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 12 Ounce blackberries
- 12 Ounce raspberries
- 0.75 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp half-and-half
- 0.25 cup half-and-half
- 1.5 cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the half-and-half and stir until the dough is evenly moistened. Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, scoop the dough into 8 loose mounds and place on a wax paper–lined baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. In a large, deep, ovenproof skillet, combine the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar with the berries, orange zest, cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water and bring to a vigorous boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries are juicy and just broken down, 10 minutes.
- Arrange the mounds of dough on top of the fruit. Cover and simmer over very low heat until the biscuits are springy to the touch and cooked through, 15 minutes. Sprinkle the biscuits with granulated sugar and broil for 5 minutes, shifting the pan as necessary, until the biscuits are lightly browned in spots. Let cool slightly and discard the cinnamon stick. Serve the biscuits and berries with whipped cream.
Recipe Credit: Jenn Louis
Photo Credit: John Kemick