Simple Pizza Puffs
5 Ingredients or Less? Gotta love that. Whip this one out when you need a quick snack for yourself or for the kids after school or for appetizers. The pepperoni can easily be removed and replaced with mushrooms if you want to go vegetarian. These pizza puffs are supporting by puff pastry habit and I just can’t seem to stop eating these! These are flaky, cheesy, oooey, gooey deliciousness. Truth be told, I was trying to make these into pretty half moon-ish shaped puffs (like these) but I got too greedy with the mozzarella, basil and the rest of the filling and made them too big! I couldn’t close them! So, I just pulled two ends together and stuck in a toothpick. Word.
I hope you enjoy!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry; thawed
- 1 Can tomato sauce (can use the rest for dipping)
- fresh mozzarella; sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a cookie cutter, glass jar or small bowl, press down into the thawed pastry dough so you cut round circles from the puff pastry. (You can also just cut the puff pastry dough into 4 squares.) Cut the puff pastry on wax paper or foil so it’s easier to pick up.
- To assemble: spread some tomato sauce on the pastry dough, lay down the pepperonis (if using), then the mozzarella and top that with a few leaves of basil.
- Bring together each end and pin with a toothpick (to ensure the puff stays closed while baking).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Sprinkle on more basil if desired and serve.
Read more from Hip Foodie Mom.