Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
- 0.5 Pound tomatillo—husked, rinsed and quartered
- shredded green cabbage, for serving
- 12 corn tortilla, warm
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 12 6-inch bamboo skewer, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1.25 Pound medium shrimp (about 36), shelled and deveined
- 2 celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise
- 0.25 cup finely chopped cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 0.5 small onion, quartered
- parsley leaves, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and garlic with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender.
- Boil the cooking liquid until reduced to 1/4 cup, then add it to the blender and let cool completely. Puree the salsa and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salsa to a bowl, stir in the chopped cilantro and refrigerate until chilled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the celery with the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan; oil the grill grate. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer. Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and transfer to a platter. Serve the shrimp with the salsa, celery salad, warm tortillas, cabbage and parsley leaves so guests can assemble their own tacos.
Recipe Credit: Tim Byres
Image Credit: Marcus Nilsson