Shirred Eggs with Ham and Tomato
Serving Size: 1
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 slices black forest or other cooked ham, trimmed to fit pan
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, homemade or good-quality jarred
- 2 extra-large egg
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coarsely chopped fresh herbs (tarragon, chervil, and/or chives--just one herb or a mixture)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Melt the butter in a 5-inch cast iron skillet over low heat. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the ham in the bottom of the pan. Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the ham. Carefully break the eggs on top; drizzle the cream over the eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste (go very light on the salt since the ham is salty).
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, checking occasionally. The whites should be set, but the yolks can still be runny.
- Sprinkle the eggs with the herbs and serve in the skillet.
Recipe courtesy of The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes by The Lodge Company/Oxmoor House, 2012