Seared Tuna Steaks with Citrusy Soy Sauce
- 0.5 cup soy sauce
- 4 4-ounce tuna steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.25 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 3-inch strip of lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 0.5 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup mirin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, shallot, jalapeño, orange juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar and coriander. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Strain the sauce.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat for 1 minute per side. Transfer the tuna to a platter and let rest for 1 minute; thickly slice and serve with the sauce.