Savory Cheddar & Cornmeal Waffles with Green Tomato Salsa
- 0.75 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.25 cup grated cheddar
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted + more for greasing the waffle iron
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1.25 cup buttermilk
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 cup cornmeal
- Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacture’s directions. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Whisk the wet ingredients together until combined and then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the shredded cheddar cheese. Measure the batter and cook according to the waffle iron’s manufacture directions.
- salt and pepper
- 0.5 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, diced (red, heirloom)
- 1 Pound green tomatoes, diced
- Combine the tomatoes, cilantro, chives, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Greek Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp cumin
- Use a fork to whip the cumin into the Greek yogurt and add a touch of pepper.
- Top the waffles with salsa and the spiced yogurt and serve!
For the full post visit, Vegetarian Ventures.