Savory Broken Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes
Serving Size: 10
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fine broken wheat (looks a little coarser than semolina, but light brown- called as bansi rawa sometimes in Indian stores)
- 0.5 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- chopped green chilli (optional)
- Combine the broken wheat, oatmeal, yogurt and salt in a bowl along with 2 cups of water. Cover and allow it to soak and rest for 30 minutes. Stir in the baking powder and onions into the above wheat mixture until well combined.
- Heat a 8 inch pan over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter or 1/2 tablespoon oil in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop one heaping soup spoon of batter into the pan. Cook the pancake about 2 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked. Continue with remaining pancakes and serve warm with honey or just like that.
- Alternatives, you could make tiny 1 inch appetizers with this batter and serve it as a starter for your next party. These remain soft and warm well in the oven even after they are cooked without getting brittle. If you happen to warm in the oven, just make sure to cover with aluminum foil so they don't dry out.
On another note: you could add grated zucchini, corn, spinach, basil or any other herb to make it extra nutritious.
Read more from Archana's Kitchen.