Saffron Fingerling Potato Salad with Mixed Greens and Tomatoes
- 0.75 Pound fingerling potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick coins
- 1 small fennel bulb tough outer layer discarded, bulb cored and finely diced
- 1 Pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cup mixed baby greens, such as arugula and mesclun 8 ounce
1. In a medium skillet, combine the fingerling potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic, saffron and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of water to cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Discard the garlic.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and diced fennel and toss. Add the mixed baby greens, season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve right away.