Rum Raisin Waffled French Toast
Serving Size: 2
No need to flip it like French toast, just let it cook like a waffle!
- 4 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 2 Tbsp butter (for waffle iron)
- 1 Tbsp dark rum
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- First, preheat the waffle iron to its highest setting.
- In a small dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and dark rum. Mix very well.
- When the waffle iron is hot, dunk one slice of bread in the egg mixture. Let it soak for 10 seconds. Flip and repeat on the other side. Immediately move the bread to the waffle iron. Place a ½ tablespoon of the butter on top of the slice, and then close the waffle iron. It might not close all the way (mine didn't), so press down on the handle for a few seconds to ensure a good sear.
- Cook the waffles until you smell the cinnamon. For me, my waffles were done slightly before my waffle timer was up because I like them a bit soft. Cook until the timer goes off if you like your waffles extra crispy.
- Repeat with remaining 3 slices of bread.
- 1.5 Tbsp dark rum
- 3 Tbsp raisins
- Maple syrup for serving
- Meanwhile, mix raisins and rum together in a small bowl, if using.
- Serve two slices of French toast on each plate, douse with maple syrup, and top with rum raisins.
For the full post, visit Dessert for Two.