Romaine and Charred Corn Salad with Avocado Dressing
Smashing ripe avocado with olive oil, lemon juice, honey and garlic creates a fantastic, creamy dressing for this hearty salad by Molly Chester.
- 2.5 cup fresh corn kernels (from 3 to 4 large ears)
- 0.5 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 3 6- to 8-ounce romaine hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- kosher salt
- 0.5 Hass avocado, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 0.5 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup shredded pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat the broiler. Spread the corn kernels on a large rimmed baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from the heat for about ?5 minutes, until lightly charred. Let the ?corn kernels cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, honey and garlic. Add the avocado and, using a fork, lightly smash it against the side of the bowl and mix it in to form a chunky dressing. Season with salt and pepper.?
- In a large bowl, toss the cooled corn with the romaine pieces, sliced onion and the 1/2 cup of pecorino cheese. Add the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Garnish the salad with shredded cheese and serve right away. ?
Recipe Credit: Molly Chester
Image Credit: Con Poulos