Roasted Turnips and Greens
- 0.25 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 1 navel orange, plus 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Pound young turnips and their greensturnips halved, greens stemmed and chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 0.5 cup water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Ounce baby spinach, 2 cup
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a mini food processor, puree the olives; transfer to a bowl. Using a sharp knife, peel the orange, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over another bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the turnips with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast for 20 minutes, until almost tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the water and turnip greens, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the greens are just tender, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the orange juice over the turnips. Roast for 5 minutes longer, until the turnips are tender and glazed; season with salt.
5. Add the spinach to the greens; toss until wilted. Drizzle the pureed olives onto a platter. Top with the turnips, greens, orange sections and hazelnuts. Serve hot or warm.