Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Fennel, Apple and Pecans
When you have an insatiable sweet tooth, I recommend a sweet potato dish. This is the dish I came up with recently for someone who always wants sweet flavors and whose most favorite vegetable happens to be sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a balanced way to please a craving for sweets because they’re nutrient dense and you’re getting the naturally sweet flavor without the excess amounts of sugar. They are excellent for your eyes, boasting beta carotene, (a compound that your body converts to vitamin A). Sweet potatoes are also high in dietary fiber and contain significant amounts of vitamin C and E. Of course, they are loaded with antioxidants; it’s no wonder why sweet potatoes are incredibly satisfying and cozy.
- 1.5 Pound sweet potatoes (about 3 medium-3 cups), sliced into ½ inch thick pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and sliced into ½ inch thick pieces (reserve green fronds for garnish)
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¾ inch rounds
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.33 cup pecans, rough chopped
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Preheat oven at 400
- Using a baking sheet or large ovenproof dish, toss the ingredients in the olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and spread in one layer.
- Roast until sweet potatoes are soft on the inside, rotating occasionally. (About 40 minutes.) Remove from oven and sprinkle with Pecans, return oven for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve warm garnished with fennel fronds.
Read more from Colombe du Jour.