Roasted Eggplant and Pickled Beet Sandwiches
The eggplant, which is sliced, rubbed with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper takes all of 40 minutes to cook. During that time, it’s easy to whisk together the garlic, vinegar and mayonnaise for the garlic mayo, as well as to toss together the beet salad.
Regarding the eggplant slicing, the recipe calls for the vegetable to be sliced in 1/2″ rounds. They looked nice and thick after cutting, but when they came out of the oven, they had shrunken down to nothing. I recommend cutting the eggplant to 3/4″ or even a full inch.
Our grocery store was out of focaccia so I used a hearty white bread that I toasted first instead.
I kept trying to justify eating two of these because it was so hard to stop at just one. The sandwich was so, so good.
Roasted Eggplant & Garlic Mayo
- 1 large eggplant (1.5 pounds sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds)
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place eggplant slices on a large rimmed baking sheet and rub both sides with oil. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Roast until golden and tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Whisk garlic, mayonnaise, and vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
- 4 6x4-inch piece focaccia, split
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp drained capers
- 0.25 cup pitted oil-cured olive, chopped
- 0.5 cup pickled beet, chopped
- 1 cup mixed tender fresh herb leaves (such as flat-leaf parsley, dill and mint), torn if large
- 4 scallion, thinly sliced
- 6 Ounce feta, thinly sliced or crumbled
- Toss scallions, herbs, beets, olives, capers, and oil in a medium bowl to combine.
- Spread cut sides of focaccia with garlic mayo. Build sandwiches with focaccia, eggplant, feta, and beet salad.
Read more from Taking On Magazines.