Roasted Cauliflower Barley Risotto
Food editor Ian Knauer enjoys experimenting with home-brewing, so he understands how roasting malted barley can impart a deeper flavor to the final beer. He figured, rightly, that toasting barley (left over from Brown Rice and Barley) in a dry pot would also add an extra dimension to this hearty twist on risotto. Studded with roasted cauliflower and enriched with butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano, this one-dish dinner tastes just right on a chilly night.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 0.5 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 0.25 cup dry white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1.5 cup water
- 3.5 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third.
- Cut cauliflower into 1/2-inch pieces and toss with 2 Tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Spread in 1 layer in a large 4-sided sheet pan and roast, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and well browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
- While cauliflower roasts, toast barley in a dry 4-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Cook garlic in remaining 2 Tbsp oil in 4-qt pot over medium heat, stirring, until pale golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add barley, stirring to coat. Add wine and simmer briskly, stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup hot broth and briskly simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Continue simmering and adding hot broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until barley is just tender and creamy-looking, about 30 minutes (you may have broth left over).
- Stir in cauliflower, cheese, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in parsley and thin with some of remaining broth if desired.
Recipe Credit: Ian Knauer, Gourmet
Image Credit: Stephanie Foley