Roast Chicken Panzanella
"In the height of summer, what's better than tons of tomatoes and cucumbers in a salad?" chef Evan Rich asks. He and wife, Sarah, give this traditional Tuscan bread salad a California spin with strawberries, cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- 0.75 Pound country bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 romaine hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- 0.25 cup sherry vinegar
- 0.25 cup champagne vinegar
- 0.5 small red onion, chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 0.25 cup plus 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup salted roasted pumpkin seed
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, until crisp. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the onion with both vinegars and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the romaine, tomato, cucumbers, strawberries, cilantro, dill, chicken and the toasted bread and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter, sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
Recipe Credit: Evan Rich and Sarah Rich
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne