Quinoa Salad with Spring Vegetables
For a lively, bright salad, combine herb-scented red quinoa with radishes, green peas and lima beans. Try rinsing the quinoa to get rid of the bitterness, and draining off any liquid after cooking so the grains remain fluffy.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tarragon sprigs
- 0.5 cup white wine
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the water, wine, tarragon and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender; drain any extra liquid if necessary. Discard the tarragon and thyme sprigs. Spread the quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water. In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the lima beans for 2 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 1 minute longer. Drain and immediately transfer to the ice water. When cool, drain again.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, mustard and honey and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the quinoa, lima beans, peas and radishes and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Recipe Credit: Carla Hall
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne