Quinoa Salad with English Peas, Arugula, Mixed Herbs and Feta
If you need a refresher, quinoa's an energizing nutritional powerhouse, crammed with protein, fiber, antioxidants, omega 3 fats and a load of vitamins. Mix in a variety of spring/summer herbs, peas and fava beans and then throw in some red chili and feta for a little heat and tanginess...you'll be eating this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well, at least until you get sick of it. Make a big bowl of the stuff and keep it in the fridge throughout the week for a quick lunch or a side with dinner. Reminds me of summertime as a child when my mom would, without fail, keep a vat of tabouleh salad in the fridge at all times. So get in the kitchen and let good food make summer's hectic schedule a little easier!
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt, to taste
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (add a little extra if needed)
- 3 Ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 0.5 small hot red chili pepper, thinly sliced (if desired)
- 0.5 cup chopped scallion
- 0.33 cup chopped mint
- 0.33 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cup arugula
- 0.5 cup spring pea
- 0.5 cup fava beans
- 2 cup water
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes. If there’s a little liquid remaining, strain quinoa and place in a mixing bowl.
- Remove fava beans from pods and blanch for 4 to 5 minutes. Plunge into ice bath, cool and remove skins.
- Blanch peas for 6 to 7 minutes until tender. Plunge into ice bath.
- Add fava beans, peas, and remaining ingredients arugula through feta cheese. Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss lightly to coat.
Read more from Nourish.