Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemony Bread Crumbs
Serving Size: 6
- 1 Pound thin asparagus
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.25 cup plain dry bread crumb or panko
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 12 thin slice of prosciutto
- Light a hardwood charcoal fire. Brush the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred and almost tender, 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small cast-iron skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the bread crumbs and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the crumbs are golden and crisp, 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, then stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the asparagus into 6 even piles. On a work surface, arrange the prosciutto slices in 6 pairs, overlapping slightly. Set an asparagus pile on each prosciutto pair and roll up.
- Grill the bundles over moderately high heat, turning, until the asparagus are tender and the prosciutto is crisp, 4 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle the lemony bread crumbs on top and serve.
Recipe Credit: Michael Chiarello
Image Credit: Christina Holmes