Porter Bundt Cake with Whiskey-Caramel Sauce
This richly flavored cake features quintessential Irish ingredients such as dark porter beer, dark brown sugar and whiskey.
- 1.5 cup porter
- 3 large eggs
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 0.5 cup packed light brown sugar
- 0.33 cup cocoa nib
- 0.25 tsp fine sea salt
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 0.75 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 0.25 cup pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- MAKE THE CAKE Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, whisk 1 cup of the porter with the molasses and bring just to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the baking soda and let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the maple syrup with the remaining 1/2 cup of porter and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, butter a 10-inch Bundt pan and dust with flour; shake off the excess. In a large bowl, whisk the 3 cups of flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cocoa nibs. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the 1/2 sticks of butter with the brown and granulated sugars at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, until just incorporated. At low speed, beat in the cooled porter-molasses mixture, then gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in the center of the oven for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes. Invert the warm cake onto a rack and brush with the cooled porter-syrup mixture.
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- 0.25 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 0.25 cup whiskey
- MAKE THE SAUCE In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until an amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and whiskey. Cook over low heat for 1 minute. Let cool slightly.
- Cut the cake into wedges and serve, passing the warm whiskey caramel at the table.
Recipe Credit: Courtney Contos
Image Credit: Con Poulos